All MARR-KETT rugs are washed before leaving Morocco. You may find some loose fibres due to the recent washing which will only occur for a short period of time. Even though they are thoroughly cleaned some rugs will still retain some fine grains of desert sand as some are placed directly on the floor in more remote areas of the Atlas Mountains (sand loves to get in everywhere). This will also reduce after a few household vacuums. Wool is a resilient material and is pretty resistant to wear and dirt which makes it perfect for rugs! These rugs are pretty resilient and robust and have lived a lifetime before even reaching us. All this being said our MARR-KETT rugs are carefully selected vintage pieces, some may be more delicate than others and to ensure the longevity and value of your piece care should be taken when looking after it.
1) Vacuum frequently to free your rug from any dust or loose debris. You should vacuum across ways (across the width) instead of length ways (up and down the longest length) as this helps to work with the weave.
2) Shake outside every so often to free it from any dust or mites which like to get in and hide in dark places. We suggest leaving your rug out for a few hours in sunshine if possible when doing this and if it's in a safe space as this also helps prevents mites from trying to set up home in it (as with any natural textile product).
3) on thinner or older pieces a rubber matting will help to preserve the weave and aid non-slip. It doesn't damage the rug or the floor beneath and can be purchased cheaply. We recommend rolls from Bunnings or IKEA.
4) for any spills use a damp clean cloth with tepid water (make sure the cloth isn’t coloured as this could transfer to your rug). A clean tea towel is great! We also like chemical free wipes like baby water wipes. They are super easy to grab and use. You are best to get any spills early to avoid staining.
5) We clean all of our rugs at home once in a while for a nice freshen up. This is not a regular thing and doesn’t need to be done often, or even annually. You should be able to find a rug cleaner close to your area but we can help direct you if needed. We also recommend Milton's rug cleaning in Bangalow if local.
6) In Morocco they often rotate their rugs a few times a year to ensure even wear. Our homes and spaces tend to have a lot less foot traffic but it's worth considering doing this if your rug will be in a heavily used space or used a lot more on one side or in one area in particular.
7) Please! If you put your rug in storage for any length of time make sure it's very well sealed and even consider using a form of moth déterrant. Moths and mites LOVE dark spaces and if there is a way to get in they will often find it. Wool is a natural product and should be allowed to breath. If your item is in storage will still recommend trying to air it out on occasion.